Re: Starch Pastes

At 09:38 AM 3/28/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear Stephanie and fellow booklovers,

>I mainly use wheat starch paste, out of convenience more than anything, and
>because my mentors (Martha Cole, Betsy Palmer Eldridge) have influenced me.
>I buy precipitated wheat starch at my local health food store, and sometimes
>at the aisan market.  I find the wheat starch from the aisan market to be
>stickier than the health food store brand.  I like a paste that is smooth
>and not too *gluey*.  I often re-blend my paste in my food processor with a
>small amount of warm water if it has coagulated too much over night, or
>after a day or two of use.

Very interesting thread!  Thank You for sharing with us :)

I have a few probably silly questions:

Do you store the paste in a refrigerator or is it left at room temp.?
How long does it 'last' before degrading beyond use?
Do you add any preservatives (apparently not, but it doesn't hurt to ask :)
Is there a 'brand-name' starch you've found best?

Apparently all Asian starches .. rice too .. are 'stickier' than
the others?  Wonder why?

I have wonderful Hawaiian relatives that much prefer
*very* sticky rice .. far to 'gooey' for my western-taste.  At a recent
wedding, I tried a bit of their steamed-rice on a couple place cards ..
wow! .. strong bond, and very quick-setting!

Thank You again!

Ron Yost
Paso Robles, CA