Wheat starch paste/testing

Some starches are manufactured using sulfuric or hydrochloric acid.  How to
tell which is which?  Test.  Testing strips, pH indicator strips, are
readily available and should be used.  Test the pH of the water used to
cook the paste; test the resultant paste.  If the difference is greater
than 1 pH unit (i.e., 10% more acidic) find another source of starch (or
water), or make it yourself.

If the resultant paste is alkaline, count your blessings.

Jack

>Date:    Mon, 31 Mar 1997 09:00:19 -0600
>From:    "Rupert N. Evans" <r-evans4@UIUC.EDU>
>Subject: Re: Starch Pastes, etc.
>
>Thank you for your interesting comment about starch pastes.
>At 03:02 AM 3/31/97 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>A properly made and applied wheat starch paste ... may or may not be acidic,
>>depending on how it was manufactured.
>
>Does this mean that it is acidic if acidic water is used? Or does it mean
>that some wheat starch is acidic? Or?
>Rupert
>Rupert N. Evans
>Prairie Publications
>101 West Windsor Road, #4107
>Urbana, IL 61802-6697
>vox 217-337-7833
>fax 217-337-7469

Jack C. Thompson

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick                               I hear and I forget,
Portland, Oregon  97217                       I see and I remember,
                                              I do and I understand.
http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/