Re: Acid Migration from Newsprint

At 06:29 PM 3/31/97 -0600, you wrote:
>At 05:03 PM 3/31/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>>An alternative method when registration or uniform image palcement on the
>>>sheet is concerned, is to use interleaving of clean, wet newsprint, wet down
>>>with a spray bottle as it is stacked between dry printing paper.

>>I would advise against using newsprint for this. You will get migration of
>acid into your printing paper from the newsprint.

>I'm not an expert or a chemist either, but I think contact between the wet
>newsprint and the paper you are going to print on for a relatively short
>time would not cause the paper to become structurally acidic, particularly
>if your paper has high pH and alkaline reserve. The surface of the paper
>might test acidic for a while after contact, but over time the alkaline
>reserve in your printing paper will tend to neutralize the small amount of
>acid that may have migrated. I would recommend testing at intervals over a
>period of time to see what happens.
>
>Guy
>Guy Dresser                          gDresser@AllenPress.com
>Allen Press, Incorporated                       913-843-1234
>Lawrence, Kansas 66044                     FAX: 913-843-1244

Yes,

I fact, most printmakers moldmade paper is buffered AND I use buffered
interleaving for shipment and storage of all editions I print.  I don't
think the short exposure would have long term effects.

A conservator friend and I have long disgussed the residual chemical
evidence of the printers work in 19th century prints, especially
lithographs.  Known by some as the "kiss" or mark of the stone, this  is
much more likely to be a trace of the various fountian solutions employed by
by19th and 20th C printers.  Piece it together and you would find all the
chemicals found in Coca Cola, dichromates, urine, beer, acids, gums, tree
sap, tars, solvents and God knows what else! Fresh, unprinted newsprint
seems tame and rather mundane.

 Regards and thanks for raising the questions

      M I C H A E L   M O R I N                  M.F.A., M.L.S.
    Director Celtic Press                Instructional Media Librarian
     Buffalo  New York                   D'Youville College Library
                           ba202@freenet.buffalo.edu
       Member Buffalo Free-Net Executive Board of Directors