Re: Banana paper -Reply

I listen to public radio all day while working -- NPR BBC CBC -- and
have heard a long interview with Michael Bugara and this isn't as silly
as it sounds; he is working on the theory that realistic plans to protect
elephant populations need to present a economically rewarding alternative
to poaching them for ivory, and from his discussion of how he did it, it
sounded like it might be very reasonable paper as well. If I remember
right, after washing and boiling the fiber, he did beat it as
well, and formed the sheets in what sounded like a standard European
vat/mould/deckle kind of way. Unfortuantely I don't remember which of the
above services I heard the story on...probably either CBC or BBC; they
tend to go into stories in more depth than NPR as well as ranging further
afield.