Re: Artists' books in the library (fwd)

  First, cataloguing has >got< to
>become more precise, especially in libraries whose closed stack
>policies means that book requests need to be in hours or even days
>before the books arrive on my desk.

Amen. Apart from the important issue being discussed cataloging practices
can be a real roadblock for other research as well. I've been trying to do
research on traditional Asian forms of the book and, though there are
doubtless some specialized collections whose catalog can be searched for
binding types and book forms, the ones in my part of the woods have not. In
one university Asian Collection I was permitted into the stacks to simply
walk through and look for traditional bindings (nothing of interest) but in
all other cases there simply was no usable access.

Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)