Announcing SOTA and Typecon '97

Hello. As typography is one of the subjects of this list, I thought folks
here might be interested in a new type conference called Typecon, which
will be happening November 7-9 of this year in the Boston area. In contrast
to your usual desktop publishing show, Typecon will be making a conscious
effort to include programming that will appeal both to fans of contemporary
type and to those who have a strong interest in type history and earlier
type technologies. Much of this will be due to a focus on aesthethic issues
that transcend technology, but there will also be programming directed
specifically to type and print history. We enthusiastically welcome ideas
for good topics in this area (please write to us by Aug 1st).

The conference will consist of panels on various type-related topics,
lectures and presentations, discussion groups, possibly a workshop, at
least one social event, and a modest vendor/exhibit area where type-related
products and services will be for sale (and where you may be able to pick
up information on other typographic organizations).

To sponsor it, a new organization (the Society Of Typographic Aficionados,
or SOTA for short), which intends to incorporate as a non-profit cultural
foundation, has been formed. Your participation would be most welcome!

All in all, what we seek is an intimate, fun weekend where a few hundred
type lovers can get together, share their interest in this artform, pick up
some techniques, make friends and maybe even network a bit. As stated
above, we are open to suggestions concerning any area of our programming,
exhibits and events. As a small, non-profit organization we are also
seeking people to help us organize and plan the conference, as well as
volunteer at-con. Our price (for the whole weekend running from Friday
evening through Sunday afternoon) is $40 until August 1st, and $60
thereafter.

Our venue is the Holiday Inn of Somerville-Boston. It's accessible by
public transport (two blocks from Sullivan Station on Boston's MBTA Orange
Line), and is only four miles from Logan International Airport. There are
184 guestrooms,and the convention rates we have been offered (guaranteed
only until October 7, 1997) are $89 single/double, $99 triple, $109 quad.
There is an additional 9.7% hotel tax. Hospitality and Executive Suites are
also available. The hotel can be reached at 617-628-1000.

SOTA can be reached at 26 Commercial St, Suite 140, Foxboro, MA. 02035 (mail),
bobcolby@tiac.net (email), 508-643-2247 (phone, leave message), or
617-646-2943 (fax).

This notice and the one that immediately follows are being cross-mailed
to the LETPRESS list; if you get both lists, my apologies for the extra
mail.

Bob Colby (for SOTA)