Re: new repair business

What does your commercial binder charge? What is your hourly rate?

I usually charge based on my hourly rate ($50). If working in batches, of
course your price drops because of improved efficiency, I hope. That rate
includes all materials and overhead. If shipping is included I bill that
separately.

Under no circumstances try to underbid commercial/library binders. It will
be the death of your business. Charge a fair price, and emphasize the
quality of your work and customer service. Keep track of how much time it
takes for each step, what supplies are needed... Write it down. It'll serve
as the basis for future quotes. That way you'll be able to see, vividly,
whether you're making or losing money. If you don't need the money for
whatever reason, still charge what you need to. The profession doesn't need
more people doing repair as a hobby and created unfair competition. Keep
detailed track of ALL expenses by catagory. This includes, email (if you
use if for business), supplies, publications, memberships... They're all
tax deductable. You'll need IRS forms 1040 Schedule C and E. You can get
the forms at their website at
<http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/forms_pubs/top-forms.html>. Also talk to
an accountant if you're unsure. If you get a 1099, better report the
income. You will get caught.

I did quite a bit of freelance work on the side and it worked out well.
Your biggest challenge will be telling people why it costs $200 to bind
their "$5.00" book in 1/4 leather...

Good luck, Peter

At 01:08 PM 4/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>If this is an unethical way of doing this, please let me know.  I am
>in the process of starting my own book repair business.  My first
>customer is my church, which wants their hymnals fixed.  Most of the
>repairs will be recasing in the original bindings.  The problem is,
>I haven't the faintest idea what to charge for repairs of ANY type.
>If anyone is willing to share their price lists with me, you can
>respond to me directly.  Thanks in advance for your help.
>Sue Dunlap
>
>Sue Dunlap                                     phone: 330 263 2107
>Preservation/Preparation Manager               fax: 330 263 2253
>College of Wooster Libriaries                  email:sdunlap@wooster.acs.edu
>College of Wooster
>Wooster OH 44691-2364

Bucheinbandkunst ist Architektur in kleinstem Massstab
Otto Dorfner

Peter Verheyen, Conservation Librarian
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244