ex libris stamps and marker ink

Hi folks--
I have a client who deals in moderns firsts who has asked me to remove
an ex libris stamp (black ink) that has bedn "canceled" by striking it
through with a black magic marker. My predjudice is to leave the thing
alone and consider it part of the book's history...and I've never heard
of a safe and successful way of removing such marks. But, since this
wonderful resource is here I'll ask...does anyone know of a way to clean
it up?
Thanks
Jack Fitterer