Repair <- vs -> conserve, a new thread.....

Sue Dunlap wrote:

>If this is an unethical way of doing this, please let me know.
>I am in the process of starting my own book repair business.  My
>first customer is my church, which wants their hymnals fixed.

Yes, I think it's unethical. First of all. if you are starting a
repair business why don't you focus on old cars or worn
washing-machines ? That's what a repair man (woman) does: repair
broken machinery. You take out the worn/broken part, look in our
repertorium, and order a new part and install it...
But, this has nothing to do with restoration or conservation.
So, if you ask for a price for "repairing" a "church book" I would
suggest $ 1,95 (all in)......

Sorry,

Cor Knops.

Knops Boekrestauratie
Conservation & Restoration of Books and Paper
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen / Netherlands
tel/fax +31 46 4200024
mail knops@xs4all.nl OR corknops@worldaccess.nl