Re: Repair <- vs -> conserve, a new thread.....

>Sue Dunlap wrote:
>
>>If this is an unethical way of doing this, please let me know.
>>I am in the process of starting my own book repair business.  My
>>first customer is my church, which wants their hymnals fixed.
>
>Yes, I think it's unethical. First of all. if you are starting a
>repair business why don't you focus on old cars or worn
>washing-machines ? That's what a repair man (woman) does: repair
>broken machinery. You take out the worn/broken part, look in our
>repertorium, and order a new part and install it...
>But, this has nothing to do with restoration or conservation.
>So, if you ask for a price for "repairing" a "church book" I would
>suggest $ 1,95 (all in)......
>

>Sorry,
>

>Cor Knops.

Oh, come on.  Was this response necessary?  Some of us who read this list
are most definitely interested in the repair of books.  We might "take out
a worn/broken" cover and install a new one.  Perhaps if she had phrased it
"conserve a hymnal" you might not have taken such offense.

BTW, 2 questions:

1.  If you have it in for book repair, why do you work at "Conservation and
Restoration of Books and Paper"?, and

2.  What have you got against "church books"?

UNpretentiously,

Dan

Dan Warren
warrend@ridgecrest.ca.us