repair/pricing

 We seem to have somewhat tangled threads here, at least three:
1) courtesy on the web (remember that smiles and gestures are not
visible on the web unless added graphically :-) and what is said in jest
may come over as rude without them.

2) repair vs conserve which has a linguistic and economic differential.
Like shit vs excrement, they can mean the same thing, but one carries
the onus of vulgarity, the other refined distance.  SO in bookbinding,
repair is associated (historically) with bad materials used by poorly
trained people to be had cheaply, while conservation is associated with
good materials and highly educated professionals who charge a lot.  I
don't say that this is the truth of the situation, just the general
perception.

3) Pricing one's work.  O-h-h-h Boy.  If anyone out there has a sure
fire system for figureing this out, PLEASE share it.  Speaking
historically, bookbinding was a luxury trade until the advent of machine
production.  In those old days of the luxury trade, materials were
expensive, labor was cheap.  Nowadays, the hand bookbinder is again, in
the luxury end of the book trade, but our materials, relative to our
time, are now the cheaper component.  Try to convince the general public
of this!  I think those just learning the ropes are hit hardest by this,
since they require more time to do the same procedures than those who
are old hands.  Those just starting in, I think, are well advised to
take in quicker jobs (i.e. small, obvious repairs or binding jobs) and
work on improving their skills in conjunction with more experienced
binders, through classes and workshops, etc.
  Dorothy Africa