new repair business

I posted this information to Sue Dunlap directly but in light of
the recent discussion on the List, I thought I would post it (with
additions) to everyone.

I was saddned to see the original response to Sue's inquiry, not
because it was a bad response but because the tone was so negative
and there seemed to be so little room for turning it into a
conversation.  Thank you to everyone who DID turn it into a
discussion we can all learn from.

Standards are such a difficult topic for us all.  I believe most
of us are motivated by the best intentions in trying to set and
keep high standards.  We all hate untrained people torturing books
and charging the public for it but we also shoot ourselves in the
foot sometimes.  Many times over my career in book
conservation/repair I've had doors shut and have been told, "You
haven't paid your dues yet enough for me to share this with you."
Unfortunately, no one could ever tell me just what the dues were or when
I'd know I had "arrived".  Since I know how much I love this field
and how strongly I wanted to do a good job, I just kept going.  I
wonder how many really fine book conservators haven't had such
thick skin.

I think instead of closing people dowm with a "you don't know enough to
be in this business" we need to educate them about standards, quality
and price.  Most people want to been seen as qualified and competent and
if told by enough people or someone they respect, will incorporate these
lessons into their work.  They will also tend to restate these ideas
when someone asks them for information or help.

Also, by stating our standards of quality and pricing in a positive way,
we look much more professional and raise our standing in the
conservation community and the community at large.  When we have the
opportunity to speak again, are thoughts become more valuable because
people feel we are accessible and that we have such high standards.

So, here is the posting I originally sent to Sue: