Re: Repair <- vs -> conserve

Peter,

I am quite upset to see our private correspondence posted to the list, I
answered an email sent to me at my address.I answered you privatly, at
your private address, not to the list. I think that you are out of line
to post it to the public eye. On a different list this behavior would be
dealt with an unconditional exclusion. As furious as I am about your
breach of etiquette, I will take the opportunity to raise the ethical
question of institution conservators moonlighting and of governement
sponsored institutions like New England Conservation Center courting
potential private clients.

Peter D. Verheyen wrote:

  Denis

  I agree, in-principle, with your statement about the hourly rate,
  but would
  find it hard, if not impossible to charge as much as you quote. On
  the
  other hand, I might well have to AND keep the shop full.

  If one can afford to be that choosey, I'm envious as hell. The type
  of work
  being done also needs to justify the expense. For the average,
  non-bibliophile, who isn't in the know, forget it. There will always
  be
  those who know what things cost and has the desire and ability to
  pay the
  "right" price. While it's important to educate the consumer about
  proper
  materials, techniques... ultimately don't we have to be able to give
  them
  what they want, right. We always have the option of turning the job
  down,
  but not everyone (realistically) has that option.

  In quoting one often don't know what's up until you start, and there
  are
  always surprises. A job might take more or less time than quoted.

  Unfortunately as in salaries, rates are often connected to the cost
  of
  living, i.e. NYC is much more expensive than Syracuse, NY.
  Experience
  should definitely count in pricing as well. Again, you get what you
  pay for...

  I'd really like to have some other weigh in here. Those of you know
  who I
  mean, the conservators, edition binders, ... What about the
  consumers
  perspective, any dealers, publishers want to chime in...

  Peter

  >Peter D. Verheyen wrote:
  >
  >  So what do you charge for the same job. I guess it also depends
  on
  >  where
  >  you are, but this is just based on what was charged when I was
  >  working in
  >  Chicago, and from information passed on by others. Your breakdown

  >  brings up
  >  some interesting things though.
  >
  >  Peter
  >

  > Turns out the average price I charge for a full leather is about
  the
  >same as you. The time spent on it is about 3 hours. I like my
  hourly
  >rate to be $100. Unfortunatly it does not seem that I am
  consistantly
  >making that...Murphy's law.
  >To conduct business seriously and have an adequate standard of
  living, a
  >person in our business in private practice should charge $125 to
  $150 an
  >hour, no matter where you live.Not easy.
  >
  >--
  >
  >Denis Gouey
  >
  >Denis Gouey Bookbinding Studio
  >PO Box 383 Norfolk CT, 06058
  >
  >860 542 5063
  >
  >http://w3.nai.net/~bbliopeg

  Bucheinbandkunst ist Architektur in kleinstem Massstab
  Otto Dorfner

  Peter Verheyen, Conservation Librarian
  Syracuse University Library
  Syracuse, NY 13244