Papermaking

I've been dabbling in making some paper and have a question which must have
been asked before.  Books I've read on the subject seem to be divided into
to camps; those that describe the industrial process and those for the
hobbyist which say things like "shred some paper and put it in the blender".

I just don't see the aesthetic appeal of making paper out of perfectly
good...paper.  But the processes described in the other books for pulping
rags are way beyond what I can do at home. (where would I put a Hollander
even if I could make one?)

Just experimenting, by shredding cotton rags and boiling with lime for a
couple hours, rinsing, and thowing the result (practically one piece at a
time) into a blender I was able to make a product I believe is called "half
stuff", i.e., their is no more "fabric" consistency to the mass but the
fibers are still way to long and conglomerated to make paper with.

So where does the enterprising amateur go from here?  Attempts at pounding
with a wooden mallet just made a mess.  I figure if I could find a couple
of, say, 12 inch gears I could make a small scale pulper, but those things
aren't at ACE...

Any ideas on getting the final pulp at home?

Thanks,

Dan
warrend@ridgecrest.ca.us

Dan Warren