Re: pricing

Steven D. Hales wrote:

  I'm a little puzzled by some of the attitudes expressed in this
  thread
  about pricing. Those who make a profession of binding, as opposed to
  those
  of us who, like Peter, moonlight, seem to feel that they alone have
  a right
  to bind for profit. Part-timers and moonlighters immorally steal
  their
  business through low rates.

  I cannot see any decent moral argument to be made for these
  conclusions. In
  the first place, there is no reason to suppose that anyone has a
  right to
  clients. Put in reverse, it is false that all in need of binding
  services
  are morally obligated to take their business to only full-time
  professionals who charge top dollar. Moreover, we generally think
  that
  informed and consenting adults are free to enter into whatever
  (non-harmful) contracts they wish. Just because one is an amateur or

  part-timer does not abrogate this right to form contracts.

  Indeed, it seems to me that if anything is immoral here, it is the
  suggestion that we binders collude to fix prices at a high level.
  Consider
  if oil companies all got together and agreed to double the retail
  price of
  crude oil. And why not? They all deserve decent salaries, etc. etc.
  The
  consumer public would go ballistic at this. No bookbinder,
  professional or
  otherwise,
  has an ethical expectation of any sort of income or salary at
  all.
  Steve

  Steven D. Hales
  Assistant Professor                     email: hales@bloomu.edu
  Department of Philosophy                phone: (717) 389-4229
  Bloomsburg University                   fax: (717) 389-2094
  Bloomsburg, PA 17815

 Horse feathers,
as far as Ii know, it is impossible to get oil from a moonlighting well
driller; you obviously don't have any clue about the binding ,
restoration and conservation business. Philosophically you make a point,
practically , in day to day business, you are mistaken, it does make a
difference. It is only when you understand it that the future of the
trade stands a chance. Institution conservators should not be forced to
take outside jobs to bring their earnings to a decent level.
In your last sentence, you expect us to believe that bookbinders should
work for free or to quote you, they should have" no ethical expectation
of any salary at all".
Why not bring back slavery while you are at it.

--

Denis Gouey

Denis Gouey Bookbinding Studio
PO Box 383 Norfolk CT, 06058