Re: pricing

I think you have misunderstood Steven completely.  When he said, "No
bookbinder, professional or otherwise, has an ethical expectation of any
sort of income or salary at all."  =I= think he meant that by merely
hanging out a shingle you are not guaranteed ANY income at all, merely the
opportunity in a free-enterprise system to profit if your efficiency and
enterprise make that possible.  Where would any guaranteed income come FROM
?  Grants, tax subsidy, what ?  He said nothing whatever about what rates
you charge per hour, he merely observed that whatever that rate may be,
there must be those who will pay it in order for you to earn at all.
You "may" wind up, with good business practice, efficient work habits and
frugal use of materials, making more than you "expected" to earn yearly.
But you also may not - the customer's don't come, someone else opens
another studio and under-prices you, you picked the wrong location, etc.,
etc. etc.

> Horse feathers,
>as far as Ii know, it is impossible to get oil from a moonlighting well
>driller;

H. L. Hunt would beg to differ with you - he made his millions by
"wildcatting" which is the oilman's equivalent of "moonlighting".  He was
so broke many times that he often borrowed $5.00 from my uncle and ate at
my Grandmother's hotel "on the cuff" when he was "down".

> Institution conservators should not be forced to
>take outside jobs to bring their earnings to a decent level.

What makes you think that is the reason that they do it ?  Their salaries
may be quite adequate but they may have the urge to make more when they
can, no ?  Just free enterprise at work.

>In your last sentence, you expect us to believe that bookbinders should
work for free or to quote you, they should have" no ethical expectation of
any salary at all".
>Why not bring back slavery while you are at it.

I don't think he said any such thing, he said, in effect, that their work
would determine their income.  The more they did and the better they did
it, the more they "might" earn - but still no guarantees just as there are
none in any business venture.