Re: Repair <- vs -> conserve

>I will take the opportunity to raise the ethical
>question of institution conservators moonlighting and of governement
>sponsored institutions like New England Conservation Center courting
>potential private clients.

First off, why shouldn't we moonlight, whether it is with repair,
conservation, or fine binding. When apprenticing in Germany I was appalled
by the perverse way in which my "master" tried to close down every shop
which wasn't allowed to practice binding, including "Kinko's" type places
doing velo binding. We have the freedom to practice our trades here and
this one isn't regulated though sometimes I wish we would at least have
minimum competency standards. As long as they charge fair prices so be it.
Competition can also force one to improve.

As for sponsored institutions like NEDCC, who cares. They offer a great
service and their prices certainly aren't a threat as evidenced by grant
proposals which would have used them. Most of their clients are
institutions (libraries, historical societies...) which also receive
governmental funding. Of course governmental grant monies can also be used
to fund work done by private conservators. I guess it's a level playing
field.=20

Peter

Bucheinbandkunst ist Architektur in kleinstem Ma=DFstab
Otto Dorfner

Peter Verheyen, Conservation Librarian
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244