tacketting

Howdy-
        Does anybody in New England or NY do tacketting? I am trying to get
some info about the effectiveness/appropriateness of tacketting for use on
non-rare circulating library books (leather), and would love to visit a
library/studio/lab where it is done. I need to find a way of dealing with
detached boards (solid textblocks, solid spine, only the hinge is damaged)
other than boxing, which we already do. Any insights? Advice? Solutions
that I'm overlooking? Opinions about tacketting? Thanks-

Amy Morris
Smith College Libraries