Member's directory Re: List changes

At 5:28 PM -0300 97/05/02, Peter D. Verheyen wrote:
>This list is filled with book artists and conservators, collectors and
>dealers. you name we probably have it. If you look at our archives, you
>will find that topics come and go and that there is a great variety in
>them. If you're not interested in a topic, start one.
>
>At 01:26 PM 5/1/97 -0400, you wrote:

>>In a message dated 05/01/97 7:24:20 AM, Mary Crest wrote:
>>BTW thank you for the list of subscribers. Is any more information available
>>(i.e., who does what in the world of book arts?). Also, I periodically send
>>out a newsletter of my creative activities, along with information about
>>upcoming classes I will be teaching. Do you consider that a commercial
>>activity that would be prohibited on this list? Thank you. Barbara Harman
>>
>As for who does what and where, that is not information I have, unless I
>happen to know the person. A great number of the subscribers are familiar
>to me, many are not. That's the way it is.

That's not the way it has to be however. Other lists, such as History of
Photography, maintain a directory like this one:

http://www.astate.edu/docs/acad/cfa/list.html

Those who wish to be listed fill out a questionnaire about their activities
and about once a month the list is updated. The date format, is 97/05/03,
so if I want to know who is new on the list this month, I simply do a
search on 97/05 and I get all the new members, with their fields of
interest, specialty, etc.

These directories have proven **extremely** useful in my research and I
have been able to make friends around the world who share my own interests.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/