Re: Sophism

Dear Steve,
I, for one, would like you to reconsider your decision of withdrawing
from the discussion. 'tis a pity you have not answered my inquiry on
ethics. 'tis a pity that we will not know your opinion on the ethical
question I posted. I have more arguments to make on the subject, but
without an interlocutor and with nobody out there caring about the
topic, I guess the thread is dead. I would like to thank the courageous
posters who stuck their necks out on this sensitive topic, I also would
like to thank the institution mentionned in my previous post, the fact
that it remained silent on the topic is an admission of guilt. To the
original poster on the pricing inquiry, I will apologize for having
used your post as a catalyst for trying to make a point. I would
encourage her to contact NEDCC and ask them for a price list of the
services they render. I must say that I have tried that but got no
information. Perhaps she will be luckier.
I remain firm in my convictions, I will take my fight elsewhere.
Again, thank you Steve for answering one of my question,  if you are up
to it, answer the second.
Denis Gouey

Steven D. Hales wrote:

  Yesterday Jack Thompson wrote, "I like to think that I write
  clearly", and
  proceeded to accuse me of "dissembling" for failing to appreciate
  his
  sumptuous prose. Today he called me a "sophist," indicating that I
  am
  solely concerned with glib arguments.

  While no doubt he is correct about my character failings, pointing
  them out
  does not help us discover the truth about moral issues pertaining to

  bookbinding and conservation. Nor does it help me to see the
  weaknesses in
  the arguments I have tendered on this issue. How we should behave
  and treat
  others is an important matter to me, which is one reason I got a
  Ph.D. in
  philosophy. I regret that an obvious moral expert like Mr. Thompson
  has
  chosen to cite my failings as a person instead of provide me with
  the
  instruction he so perspicuously observes that I need. Therefore, I
  see no
  profit in further participation in this thread.

  Steven D. Hales
  Assistant Professor                     email: hales@bloomu.edu
  Department of Philosophy                phone: (717) 389-4229
  Bloomsburg University                   fax: (717) 389-2094
  Bloomsburg, PA 17815

--

Denis Gouey

Denis Gouey Bookbinding Studio