Where To Find Johnson Bookbinding Fabrics

>From: Jason@RagAndBone.com (Jason Thompson)
>>Subject: Where To Find Johnson Bookbinding Fabrics
>>
>>Concerning Johnson Bookbinding:

>>>are not alone.  A year and half ago, at least seven of us in the
>>>Preservation and Conservation Studies Program went together on an order
>>>of Japanese bookcloth.  The cloth never came, and we were never able to
>>>determine what had happened.  When one of us called, she was repeatedly
>>>told that the order was on the way.  Eventually he admitted that he had
>>>had her confused with someone else of the same name.  The end result is
that
>>>we were never told if he lost the order or couldn't fill it.  Since that
>>>time we've discovered many bookbinding colleagues that have had similar
>>>experiences.
>>>

>>And....
>>

>>>Thanks for responding.  I guess I'll give up on Johnson.  Unfortunately,=
>>>have been unable to find the cloth anywhere else.  Wish me luck!
>>
>>We too can tell similar horror stories but I won't waste the bandwidth.
>>
>>After a few discouraging dealings with Johnson, I gave up and searched
for other suppliers. It wasn't easy, but here are some leads if anybody is
looking for Japanese Jacquard & other cloths:

>>        Harcourt Bindery
>>        Boston, Mass
>>        617 542 5858
>>
>>(I suggest calling Harcourt first, they've been extremely helpful, even
importing custom-dyed bolts of Jacquard fabrics for us. They also carry a
small stock in their studio for drop shipping)

>>        Talas
>>        New York, NY
>>        212 219 0770
>>
>>(Talas carries a selection of former Johnson cloths)
>>
>>        Kozo
>>        San Francisco
>>        415 621 0869
>>
>>(Ask for Jen. He was importing his own Japanese cloths for a while, nice
jacquard fabrics, kinda expensive though)

>>        Rugg Road
>>        Boston, Mass
>>        617 742 0002
>>
>>(We've been selling some of our cloths to Rugg Road which they're selling
retail, I think they have a dozen or so styles)

>>Hope this helps anyone who was burned by the now defunct Johnson
Bookbinding!

>>Peace,
>>
>>Jason
>>

>>                       Rag & Bone Bindery On-Line
>>                       <http://www.RagAndBone.com>
>>
>>                          Jason@RagAndBone.com

Bucheinbandkunst ist Architektur in kleinstem Ma=DFstab
Otto Dorfner

Peter Verheyen, Conservation Librarian
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244