Re: List changes (actually saving email- printing it out)

I've seen a lot of interesting and wonderful stories spawned from this
discussion, but I think there is some perspective missing.

For instance, On 8 May 1997, Maureen Carey wrote:
> I worry that future archives will be scanty, or unavailable because they
> were on-line and the power went out or the server crashed or because of
> the ease of e-mail that the writers didn't keep copies/back-ups printed
> or electronic.

The number of examples of books being lost is significantly greater than
the number of examples of electronic data being lost.  When we have an
example like the Library at Alexandria for the electronic world, your case
will be stronger.

One of the things I do is to "mirror" relevant material on my internet
site.  This happens automatically nightly.  This isn't very feasable with
paper material. Paper is simply harder to copy.  (A recent Dilbert story
comes to mind.  A boss was looking confused trying to use the paper
shredder when an eager young associate came up.  The young associate
inserted the paper in the shredder for the boss.  The boss then said "one
copy will be fine.")  I'm more than willing to admit that many people
(including myself) don't make adequete, regular backups.  That's bad.  But
people don't install fire prevention devices in their home libraries
either.

When you get right down to it, the issues of preservation transcend media.
Using acidic paper is as bad as not making backups.  If its worth keeping,
then redundancy and future-proofing are required.  Make copies.  Store it
in multiple locations.  Have a fire extenguisher.  (All of those things
apply to paper or electronic storage.)

</chris>

Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to buy Microsoft products.