Re: List changes (actually saving email)

Phil Karn wrote:
> Have you read the article, "Ensuring the Longevity of Digital Documents",

  Actually, I believe I even have a copy of it -- paper 8-)  --
somewhere around here. And no, we don't live in a perfect world yet. But
again, the primary arguements I hear (where do you get a wire-recorder,
etc) are silly. If you really need a wire-recorder you can make one
quite easily. If you need a 8" floppy drive, there are tons around and
can be easily refurbished if need be -- but the main thing is that the
stuff can be copied (once digitized) so easily (and no, it doesn't
require major man-hours of labor as some have suggested, just a little
know-how, unless you are talking about feeding floppies into a drive,
and even that can be done while doing other tasks) and onto optical
storage units which won't die like tape in 7 years. People always want
to talk about wire-recorders and beta video tapes -- THOSE AREN'T
DIGITAL.

   And please, please, please  -- don't think, as so many always seem to
do, that I'm in any way advocating getting rid of books and paper in
favor of a digital medium. I LOVE books. I own 6 printing presses and a
whole semi-trailer full of related items just to print on -- gues what
-- paper!  8-)
   OTOH, I definitely advocate closing the government printing office as
far as paper goes. IF, that is, those dimwits can get their act together
and come up with a single standard for all those CD-ROMS they put out.
God, what a mess that is. True Babel in our own time.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@zebra.net hseaver@jaguar1.usouthal.edu
"Facts an' facts, an' t'ings an' t'ings: dem's all a lotta fockin'