Re: List changes (actually saving email)

R. Starr wrote:

>I think that we are beating a fictitious archival strawperson.  Instead
>of making hay (paper) while the sunshines we are looking for ways to get
>the transient to be permanent in a world where little (including us,
>unfortunately) is.  Roofs leak, bugs eat, and fire destroys paper, clay
>tablets break, monuments crumble, emf destroys magnetic media, technology
>fails, etc.  It's a matter of how compulsive one wants to be, how
>narcissistic one is about the value of their words, ideas, and images,
>and many other factors.  I find it interesting that a group working in
>the book format which, in most cases, implies physicality of object, is
>engaged in this discussion.
>
>A true OCD person would make multiple copies of everything, invest in a
>fire-proof safe (or, better yet an abandoned cold-war bomb shelter), back
>up their computer hourly with at least two alternative systems (e.g.,
>tape and a Zip drive), and have multiple back ups.  There are probably
>many other things that this person would do.  Unfortunately, they would
>not have a chance to do anything but preserve materials, creating an
>endless, repetitive cycle that would not even allow them time to read
>incoming material regardless of its format.
>
>Not to start a new thread, but to indulge in a little more nostalgia, I
>recommend a SciFi book that I read many years ago: Canticle for
>Liebowitz.  I've forgotten the author's name but it's still in print (and
>I should get another copy for my summer reading).
>
>P.S. I print out worthwhile email as I have yet to figure out how to get
>messages from the main frame that I'm ethernet hooked into to my hard
>drive and then to my Zip drive, and then to hope that my back pack does
>not get stolen.  Oh well, now that the semester's almost over I can
>hopefully work on art, craft or whatever you might call what I do over
>the week end.  (I can't resist the thought that just came to me: ART is
>embedded in cRAfT but the converse is not true.  Similarly, you could
>consider ART as RAT, but that's another tail).
>
>R*

Just a note about what R. has written. I found it quite interesting in as
far as he has struck right to the point of the whole disscusion. For the
members who haven't heard of Jean Baudrillard, you might find his relevance
to the current disscussion.
This is a quote from The Transperency of Evil, by Baudrillard:

Chapter, Xerox and Infinity.

"If men create intellengent machines, or fantasize about them, it is either
because they secretly despair of their own intelligence or because they are
in danger of succumbing to the weight of a monsterous and useless
intelligence which they seek to exorcize by transfering it  to machines,
where they can play with it and make fun of it. By entrusting this
burdensoem intelligence to machines we are released from any responsibility
to knowledge, much  as entrusting power to politicians allows us to disdain
any aspiration to our own power."

This all has very little to do with books, I'll admit, but Baud. goes much
further along these lines in refering to the role of communicating through
computers. His essential point with reference to interfacing with the
screen is the difference between information and knowledge. The computer as
a medium is only information at best and extremely artificial at worst.
(The aside here is what happens when we exchange usefull infromation as in
this list. Does this constitute info or practical knowledge?) The point is
that  B. has dealt deeply with these ideas. And I thought I would mention
for the people of the list who have partaken of the current issue that he
is a very interesting source for the current topic.

B.'s later works all make for interesting reading in this regard.

Please indulge the my current contribution.

As no one has approached my question regarding buchbinden in Deutschland,
I'll assume my prospects are good.

with kind regards

Christopher Brown
1214 E. Mifflin