Re: Artists' Books

Hi Barbara
Have enjoyed your posts about what are Artists' Books.  When I first began
making books it was through a desire to encase objects for a more leisurely
stroll  with a slow revelation of images and the wonderful tactile sense of
participation in a book object that I no longer felt in my wall pieces.  So I
began making what I call book objects  --  structures loosely based on
recognizable book forms.  Wonderfully this led to a desire to make
traditional book forms so I could continue to break the rules in my artist
books, basing a lot of the work on all the wonderful ideas and workmanship in
old and new traditional structures..
Along the way I have met some remarkable people who shared their knowledge of
making traditional books.  Without their help I would have spent a lot more
time in the wilderness struggling to learn unfamiliar techniques on my own.
 However, there is a lot to be said for striking out on one's own, some
powerful lessons are learned this way --- negative example as well as
positive!
I am reminded about all the naysayers who wailed that the computer would ruin
reading for people.  On the contrary, I think that our desire to touch the
object, and at leisure take pleasure (or umbrage) at what is revealed has
been a direct response to the impersonal methods we now have all around us.
 I believe this is part of the impetus for the proliferation of papermakers
and book artists.  Comments?  KathyCrump