No Subject

Harman and Chris:

I admit the examples of wire recorders and Beta-Max are not good
ones. But here's one for you.  Suppose Leonardo daVinci used a laptop
with strong encryption instead of using his mirror writing in his
notebooks, which the scholars among us can still decipher today.
If he followed good spook practice he would not write down his
password. Let's say he died without telling it to anyone. Everything
he encrypted would be totally lost to us, forever.  You probably will
object that it wouldn't make any difference if he left his encryptions
on hard copy (paper) or on a hard disc. True, but the state of the art
of encryption would not be possible with just pencil and paper,
without a computer. So we have the wonderful advantage of privacy that
encryption gives us, which I prize very highly. But we also have
complete inaccessibility if we don't have the password.

Phil Karn, Sr
I'm the father of the father of ka9q, so don't blame any of my messages on him.