Re: Bridges to the past; links to the future

Jack C. Thompson wrote:

> The MTBF of competently manufactured paper is measured in centuries and
> millenia.

   Then what you propose is that we take all our newspapers which are
now being microfilmed or digitized and instead photocopy them on
archival papers??? You are aware, I am sure, that newsprint has a
shelf-life of only a few years at most????
   Great idea, Jack! And how many man-hours would that take -- not to
mention where the heck are we going to keep those mountains of
paper????? And the enduring hatred of future researchers who would then
have to wade thru those mountains, looking for those little articles,
cursing us all the while, knowing how simple their work could have been,
just doing a keyword search on an electronic archive. They curse us
badly enough now having to blind themselves trying to read the microform
versions.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@zebra.net http://www.zebra.net/~hseaver
"Facts an' facts, an' t'ings an' t'ings: dem's all a lotta fockin'