Re: digital media

It seems to me that digital storage media is somewhat analogous to
languages. That is, the way information is encoded by software is similar
to how it is encoded by natural languages. The big difference as I see it
is that languages change slowly and software changes incredibly rapidly.
Even now there are languages that are partially or wholly lost to us. Not
everything gets translated into the new languages. Without the Rosetta
Stone, where would we be in our understanding of hieroglyphics?

A thousand years from now, how many artificial languages will we have run
through? And plenty of data will not have gotten translated. We will need
hundreds of Rosetta Stones.

Steve

Steven D. Hales
Assistant Professor                     email: hales@bloomu.edu
Department of Philosophy                phone: (717) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University                   fax: (717) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815