Re: Bridges to the past; links to the future

You Said it Dorothy, but for the present, the prioritised copying of
material over to new formats means that some material of the lowest
priority will be hopelessly out dated before we get around to copying it,
thus ending up unusable. And who knows, the low priority piece today might
be of the utmost priority in 180 years time. Our assessing of importance
is balanced on what we know and think in the present. We can only
estimate what might be important in the future, we can't be sure, and we
will probably be wrong. Because of this, all material should have equal
importance and resource to cover its continued longevity (I can dream
can't I?). Sadly archives don't get that kind of consideration so we must
think of using the most long living format possible, to reduce the costs
of data transfer between formats. Unfortunately every m aterial has its
problems. Clay tablets can be dropped, paper can burn,
floppy disks can... Well....enough already.

Jon