Re: Bridges to the past; links to the future

On Mon, 12 May 1997 patriot@MIP.NET wrote:

> It was Venice !!  That's why they have spent gazillions of dollars to keep
> the sea tide out of the canals and the lagoon with the new damn that lets
> the canals "flush" but not "flood" ! <g>

Venice is always flooding, plus the fact it is sinking into the mud at
a rate (I believe) of 2 inches per decade. Thats why they have spent
gazillions of dollars on flood defences. Rather than bolster up the
buildings, I think their plan is to lower the water level of the lagoon
to match them. Give it another hundred years and the Gondolas will have
wheels.

Jon