Book Royalities

A recent posting included the phrase "standard royalities" and it
reminded me that I've been wondering if there were standard royalities
in book arts or commerical publishing.  Does anyone have experience
dealing with commercial publishing houses, in terms of what they pay the
authors or illustrators?  I'm assuming it's a bit more flexible for
artists' books - i.e. whatever the parties think is fair but I'd love to
hear some experiences from folks who have put out limited editions with
separate authors/artists.  Artemis