Re: digital media

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Derek Lyons wrote:
> And the problems with this are clearly seen by anyone who is following
> the Y2K problem.  There are literally hundreds of programs out there
> that will require being fixed.  Some of the programs date back to the
> 60's and 70's.  For many of these, no source code exists.  Or where
> source code does exist, no current compiler exists, etc...  etc....

This is why standards are so important.  We make standards, we proliferate
the standards, we try to avoid making bad standards.  This applies to many
areas of human endeavour.  We have standards for paper.  Is anyone here
working on digital archiving standards?

</chris>

Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to buy Microsoft products.