Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 16 May 1997 to 17 May 1997

At 12:01 AM 5/18/97 -0400,  wrote:

>From:    Tom Marshall <tom@PRESSMAN.DEMON.CO.UK>
>Subject: After she started the fire
>
>Is it possible to assist `bonding' by applying heat
>after printing? Perhaps using a hot-air paint stripper.
>
>        Tom Marshall
>        Whitstable Kent UK

Yes, you can. Heat works with both toner and ink. However, I would guess
that heat from a hot air paint stripper might be a bit too hot. Alternatives:
a. Run the sheet manually through a laser printer or copier twice, quickly,
before the sheet cools too much. Copiers usually have cooler fuser rolls
than laser printers, but there are marked differences in temperature, even
between machines of the same model.
b. Put a sheet of release paper on the printed sheet, shiny side toward the
print. Iron the release paper with a clothes iron set on 325-375 degrees F.
(Release paper is treated with silicone. The cheapest source is to save the
paper on which laser or copier labels are delivered. Never throw them away.)
c. Put a sheet of release paper on the printed sheet, shiny side toward the
print. Set a hot press of the type used by photographers for dry mounts to
325-375 degrees F. Apply heat and a bit of pressure.
d. Put a sheet of release paper on the printed sheet, shiny side toward the
print and run the sheets through a laminator.

Rupert N. Evans
Prairie Publications
101 West Windsor Road, #4107
Urbana, IL 61802-6697