Re: Readin', wRitin', and Radio (yak)

At 01:49 PM 5/20/97 -0400, you wrote:

> Absorbtion into huge financial conglomerates has drastically changed the
>nature of publishing now, and only material that can be fiscally justified
>seems to dominate this field right at the moment.

With this statement I must disagree.  Fiscal constraints have *always*
guided the publishing industry, from the smallest cottage press or
individual to the largest international conglomerate.

Either the book must pay for itself, or the publisher must have a source of
other income to offset the (ongoing?) loss.

It's the loss of the independent *bookstore* and the shrinkage of the
reading publis that is the real loss.  B&N etc will not carry a book that
is not of reasonably wide interest.  Our local indies carry all manner of
special publications.

Derek L.