Re: Readin', wRitin', and Radio (yak)

Hello Charles:

Yes, of course you are correct. No sane person would try to run a small
bookshop just to 'make an income'.

In my own case, I carry about 20,000 mostly out of print hard cover titles in
numismatics, philatelics [coin and stamp collecting], and other rare
collectables like antiques, porcelain, book collecting, etc.  You would be
staggered at the value of my investment in inventory, equipment and supplies,
and at the amount of physical labor and time involved.  After many years in
building my business, people now write or come to see me from all over the
world when they want a book in one of these specialities.  Nevertheless, when
it comes to new books, and since many new hard cover titles have become very
expensive, I will carry it when it first comes out, but if it does not sell,
and unless it is a standard reference, I will get rid of most or all of it. If
I do not, the publisher is likely to remainder the title for a few cents on
the dollar, then my stock becomes unsaleable at any price, and I have a bad
loss.  If I make this mistake a few times, then the only thing that I will
have in stock are books that do not sell. I will then be broke and out of
business. It happens all the time.

The first order of biz for a small bookshop  is to stay alive. Niche markets
and out of print books are the only remaining recourse. New books are now too
heavily discounted to make them a viable business.  As to profits, I have
never met any wealthy neighborhood booksellers who made it in books. Most of
us sell books because we love books. All of us try to make a contribution to
the community.  We purvey esoteric knowledge. We try to enlighten by
presentation to our clientelle of the best books and materials we can get. We
specialize. We go nuts trying to keep up with shoplifters and government forms
and regulations designed to put us out of business. Most of us also know that
books can not be 'hard sold' like a car or a commodity. They are simply
'purchased' by people who make up their own minds about what they want and can
afford.

Art Rubino
Numismatic & Philatelic Arts of Santa Fe
Antiquarian Booksellers