Re: LEGAL DEPOSIT OF BOOKS

Dear Sam,

You wrote:

> The formal application is not necessary for
>protection as works are automatically copyrighted *upon completion*.>

It is my understanding that to obtain a copyright you have to do absolutely
nothing. In nearly all things created privately after April 1, 1989
copyright is automatic once an original work has been started and some
portion of it is in a tangilbe medium of expression.

Please let me know if I am in error.

"A good book is never exhausted.
 It goes on whispering to you from the wall."   Anotole Broyard

Joanna Perry
Washington State  USA
 jperry @cet.com