Re: LEGAL DEPOSIT OF BOOKS

True...since 1989 you can, at least in visual arts have a common law
copyright, by the mere creation of a piece. =

You don't need even to have stamped it or signed it, but you need to be
able to prove you created it if necessary. =

My copyrights were obtained mainly before 1989. Still, people who have
ripped off your art work will often
ask for your copyright registration number when you confront them. I like=

to be able to supply one....it shows you
mean business and intimidates them a bit more than just saying you don't
need a registration anymore.
The $10, now $20 fee has been  worth it to me, especially since it is don=
so infrequently.

As people become more and more aware of the "common-law" copyright maybe =
would stop registering, =

but for now, it's the one thing that has made certain people stop ignorin=
my phone calls or letters
regarding unauthorized reproduction of my work.

It is probably true that most things deposited in the Library of Congress=

never again see the light of day. I know
of a collection owned by someone who died, whose family was going to dona=
te
it to the Library of Congress.
It caused quite an uproar among collectors, and fortunately was sold in
pieces to people who apprecated it, which is where it should be.

Iris Nevins