Re: starting off

At 07:27 PM 5/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 05/27/97 4:58:48 PM, Mary Crest wrote:
>
><<And perhaps she is fortysomething, an accomplished pianist
>with terrific finger dexterity>>
>
>I am delighted by all of the people who responded to the post that anyone
>attempting to learn fine binding after some unidentifiable (but young) age
>would be unable to do so because they would lack the necessary physical
>skills! I can think of many other ways these skills could be acquired:
>knitting, crocheting, needlework of all kinds, including hand sewing, to name
>but a few!
>
>Andres Segovia taught himself to play the guitar (surely requiring a SERIOUS
>level of finger dexterity) in his forties.
>
>Barbara Harman

Sr. Segovia was a great artist and more than a bit of a stuffed shirt, in
fact a snob about his instrament.  If he were dispensing advice about
binding I think he would have been just as warm and compassionate as he was
about the guitar.

In short, not a person known for an open, supportive attitude about the
other contemporary masters of the guitar. I hope Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix,
Lowell George, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Django Reinhart, Robert Johnson and The
Mud, are keeping the old fart awake at night for being the most self
absorbed guitar player in heaven...assumming of course...

Roll right throught the night...

      M I C H A E L   M O R I N                  M.F.A., M.L.S.
    Director Celtic Press                Instructional Media Librarian
     Buffalo  New York                   D'Youville College Library
                           ba202@freenet.buffalo.edu
       Member Buffalo Free-Net Executive Board of Directors