[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: LEGAL DEPOSIT OF BOOKS
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: LEGAL DEPOSIT OF BOOKS
- From: Cathy Atwood <catwood@MAIL.SOS.STATE.MO.US>
- Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:08:58 -0500
- Message-Id: <199705281617.JAA16055@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
>>This is indeed 'all wet'. It provides no legal protection whatsover.
Mailing a book to yourself to provide a date of creation may come from a
practice of screenwriters. Aside from registering a script with their guild
it is a protection to mail yourself story ideas, treatments, and other
"inventions" to show ownership at a particular date. The movie world is
even more cut-throat than the book/marbled paper world!
Local Records Program, Missouri Secretary of State