Re: This is not a Mac vs. Wintel thread!

Dear Eric et al

Mostly I use the computer for writing, graphic design, and web design work,
and not for book arts. But I have a little I use one of those Wintel
machines, a Pentium 120 with 32 megs RAM, a 2 meg graphic card, a 17-inch
ViewSonic monitor, two hard drives which together give me 3.7 gigs of
storage, a 100-meg Iomega zip drive, a pretty good sound card and speakers,
and a Xante Accel-a-Writer 8300 printer. It works for me. I got
IBM-compatible long ago as it was cheaper for similar power and I liked the
idea of a machine which I could go inside and add memory and more myself --
I probably could have done that on a Mac, but people I knew who used Macs
at the time (1989) just didn't do such things.

On my Pentium I use a lot of Adobe Photoshop, Pagemaker, MS Word for win95,
as well as other programs. I have used a lot of Framemaker over the years
and love it, but it traditionally hasn't been serviced well by the company
that made it. Adobe bought it a year ago and perhaps it will get better,
although they seem to be marketing it to more of a niche market than they
do Pagemaker. For two years at a job directing Minnesota Center for Book
Arts I used Macs and a lot of Quark XPress, and I didn't like the Macs any
better than the IBM-compatibles, but not any worse, either. They all break
down, crash, get overloaded; and they all also do absolutely marvelous things.

What I have works for me, although I always want more power, more software,
more . . .  yes, I know, I am greedy about these things. I love the web
design work as it, in many ways, doesn't take more. It takes more software,
but the images for web don't require as much memory as for print, ditto for
color.

For book arts on computer I do pretty simple layouts and typography, and
the "art" part comes more in manipulation of the actual book pages.

charles

charles alexander / chax press / chax@theriver.com