Re: starting off

Don's advice about studying WITH someone competent is very sound. Reading
will help a lot, especially in broadening horizons, but it is no substitute
for seeing someone work. This REALLY important in regards to work habits
which can make or break someone. If you have bad habits because you don't
know better, it can be very frustrating and ultimately you may be
discouraged enough to give it up.

In regards to books, I have a bibliography of bookbinding manuals on the
web in the Book Arts Links section. The URL is
<http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey>. If someone has a title to recommend
that isn't there, let me know (please try to provide the info in the same
format and order). I'll add it.

I would also like to add bibliographies for marbling/decorated paper, paper
making... If there is someone on the list who is interested in doing that,
go for it and send it to me, I'll post it on the web with the this one.

Peter

>In spite of what I just wrote, read all
>the literature you can find. If you'd like, contact me at the email address
>below and I'll send a list of books which I've found helpful.
>Don't worry about the age issue; there isn't one. Cobden-Sanderson wasn't the
>only figure who started late; Roger Powell began binding at age 34 after a
>ten year career of chicken farming.
>Best of luck.
>Don Rash
>
>Don Rash fine bookbinder
>50 Burke St.
>Plains, PA 18705
>1-717-821-7050
>email: DNRash@aol.com
>(There are monkey boys in the facility...)

Der Buchbinder als Architekt des Buches baut eine
Fassade seiner Zeit. Edwin Redslob

Peter Verheyen, Conservation Librarian
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244