Re: Printing presses (fwd)

Steve and Daniel--

I had a CW field press (so the provenance said). It was an Adams-type
flatbed with a rotary platen, hand inked, also known as an Army press. The
paper was held in a folding frame and frisket similar to those on
Washington presses.  These presses were made until the turn of the century
and were sometimes used for small newspapers.  Print quality was not too
good---at least mine wasn't. Pictures and descriptions of the Adams and
Army presses are available in the 1897 ATF catalogue. CW field printing is
hard to come by. I have only one example, a document from "printers,
Hardeman's Brigade." Be interested to hear what you've come up with. BTW,
my press is now in a museum at Baylor University in Waco, Texas. Sorry it's
not in use.

Sam Lanham

Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)