Re: Hornbook

If I remember correctly, the person who originally posted this
message about hornbooks was interested in using it in an elementary
classroom setting.  It is fairly easy to make a replica of a horn
book.  I know because I made one when I was in elementary school.

Cut a piece of thin plywood (or other wood) with a jigsaw into
the shape of the book (sort of like a pingpong paddle).  Obviously
I didn't do this by myself when I was that young! ;-)  Stain it
a dark, old looking color.

On a computer and inkjet or laser printer, use an old-style font
to  (or you can do this by hand) print out the text. If I
remember correctly, it has the alphabet, the numbers and the
Lord's Prayer on it.  Of course any text will work for whatever
situation you are in.  Print this out on old-ish looking paper
and trim to the size of the paddle part of the wood base making
the edges look deckeled or cut unstraight.

Next, cut out a piece of heavy-weight acetate (or use mylar,
if you're conservationally sound) with a slightly wavy edge and
slightly larger than the paper.  Using small brass nails (brads),
nail the paper with the acetate over it to the wood base.  And
there is your hornbook.

If this is not what a hornbook is, I apologize, since it has been
a long time since I've seen one.  But this is what we made when
I was a kid and we called it a hornbook.

Eric

        Eric Alstrom     Athens, Ohio     ealstrom1@ohiou.edu
By all means leave the road when you wish. That is precisely the use
of a road: to reach individually chosen points of departure.  By all
means break the rules, and break them beautifully,  deliberately and
well. That is one of the ends for which they exist.
                    R. Bringhurst: The Elements of Typographic Style