Re: Decorating pages?????

Julia Springer wrote:

> I've been collecting quotes since I was a child and want to
> bind them in an elegant book.  (I've been studying
> bookmaking.)  I'll print out the quotes using my laserjet
> printer.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas for the pages themselves?  From
> what I've gathered, parchment would be about the best paper
> for this (i. e., the most elegant and durable) -- if anyone
> thinks otherwise, please let me know.
>
> But I'd rather not have just the plain type on the page.  I
> don't know how to paint or rubber stamp.  Can anyone please
> offer any suggestions about how I might make the book as
> beautiful and elegant as possible?
>
> Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Parchment is not easy to work with, but if you can make it work well,
I'd love to hear about it.  Many printers these days are extremely
finicky about page thickness, and may smudge or otherwise damage the
text when printing on a medium which varies in thickness over the area
of a page - as does most parchment.
        Echoing Darryl Baird, I would recommend writing by hand; parchment is a
joy to work with with pen and ink.  Also, I can't resist sending the URL
of my favorite parchmenter, Rick Cavasin:

http://www.niagara.com/~acavasin/rick/rcav.htm

He makes beautiful parchment by hand, using traditional methods, but his
prices easily compete with the commercial parchments from England and
Israel.