Re: Japanese stab binding (was Decorating pages?????)

>I am curious as to what you think about folding the inner binding spine paper
>over the head and foot of the text block.  Ikegami mentioned (doesn't he?)
>that some traditional binders have abandoned this because it is a haven for
>bugs.  Have you found this to be true?  Do you fold over the top, or allow it
>to be open (as the pages are open)?
>
>Beth
>Tallahassee, Florida
>
>Callibeth@aol.com

You seem to be describing the "corners" that are put on the text block,
under the cover.  They are usually made of very thin silk (usually plain
weave) backed with thin paper and attached to the book with paste.  They are
not so much a "haven for bugs" as lunch for bugs.  The corners on old books
are sometimes nibbled even when the rest of the book has not suffered insect
damage.  But traditional book *covers* are also constructed with paste so
there is always an attraction for bugs, even if you don't use the corners.
Occasionally I find a ginkgo/gingko leaf laid between book leaves--this is
supposed to be an insect repellant.

Cathy Atwood
Local Records Program, Missouri Secretary of State