Calling Cards

I'm working with a few people who do living history presentations. They
want to create period correct calling cards—specifically 1850s-60s,
United States, and I'm attempted to create them on a hand letterpress.
I've seen some examples with the name in script--roughly a Shelley font.

(1) As I understand it, this would probably not have been set as
individual letters but done as an engraving?
(2) If this is true, was there a "master font" that they transferred (by
pantograph?) to the plate? I don't see these elaborate scripts in period
specimen books.

Trying to learn! Please point me to any sources.

Daniel J. Hoisington
Edinborough Press
edinborough@juno.com