Re: Japanese stab binding

At 10:37 AM 8/5/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Would you please share what other materials you use? I mean do you add
>any decorations or edgings and what do you use for string to tie them
>together (in other words is that a decorative accent too)?

Most of the books I make are blank books for journal writers, poets, etc.
Not being much of an artist myself and finding some support for this
approach in the Japanese zen aesthetic I use the materials as "decoration."
There are so many fine papers and well-designed fabrics available my
contribution is mainly the association of the parts.  I have never done any
edging but gauffering, coloring, marbling and even gilding would certainly
be possible, particularly on edges that are trimmed. I usually trim only
the top edge and the spine. The foredge is folded and I leave a deckle at
the bottom, though the latter is not traditional with Japanese binders.  My
sewing thread is not the traditional silk or cotton. I use waxed linen in a
color or colors compatible with the cover. Corner pieces, end papers, and a
book mark are selected in the same way.

Now that I'm retired from the college scene I hope to have more time to
experiment a bit.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for your interest.

Sam Lanham
Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)

I don't give a whit for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I would
give my life for the simplicity the other side of complexity.

                                        --O. W. Holmes.