Re: Buckram book cloth

You can also order directly for ICG which manufactures the cloth. Their telephone is 1-800-251-7529. I know at one point they were selling in smaller quantities, but you might want to check with them. The Grade D is still starch-filled, but the color is now (since about 2 years) colored using acrylic dyes which has made it somewhat more tedious to work with. Their "Devon" starch filled, comes in some attractive colors and is a lighter weight than the "D" cloth. Bookbinder's Warehouse sells the Devon, but I don't know about the "D" cloth. You can contact them at mailto:karenc5071@aol.com (leave off the "mailto:" if cutting and pasting... Otherwise just click on it.

Peter

At 03:37 PM 8/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I tried to order some Grade D starch filled Buckram today and got a
>surprise.  I was told by Talas that they were discontinuing it and by
>Bookmaker's that they don't carry it anymore because it is no longer
>available to them.  Does anyone know what the deal is?  How can they stop
>making Buckram?  We use it for cloth covered drop-spine boxes, folders and
>some book repairs.  What are the alternatives for a sturdy, forgiving and
>easily worked cloth for these types of jobs?  I'd appreciate any information
>or suggestions!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sandy
>Sandy Hempe
>Conservator I
>Local Records Preservation Program
>Missouri Secretary of State's Office
>

>>>       I love working in the library. There is             <<<
>>something to be said for working in a place bound in leather.<<

Peter D. Verheyen           <wk> 315.443.9937   <fax>315.443.9510
<Email>                            mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
<Webmaster>                    http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
<Listowner>           mailto:Book_Arts-L-Request@listserv.syr.edu