Re: Japanese bindings

I once had to take apart a large Japanese binding so that a print inside
could be exhibited. It was bound with boards covered with a heavy brocade
fabric with a large silk cord and tassle tied through holes on the side. As
I took it apart, I discovered that the cord and tassles were only tied
through the boards, hiding the *nails* that went through the side of the
volume to keep it together. Obviously the job was too big for staples!