Re: Japanese stab binding

At 01:22 PM 8/9/97 -0700, you wrote:

>where do you buy colored linen thread?

        Waxed linen (Belfast cord) is available in 2, 3, 4, & 7 ply in about 30
colors from Royalwood, Ltd., 1-800-526-1630, 517 Woodville Rd., Mansfield,
OH 44907. Nice people to deal with and they give a wholesale price on
orders totally $50. The retail price is $8.50 per 50 gm roll of 2, 3, or 4
ply and $19.50 for 125 gm 7 ply. The most colors are available in the 4 ply
which is what I use.
        Linen is stronger and easier to use (IMHO) than the DMC cotton perle or
any silk I've been able to find. (The fabric shops in my area don't carry
silk at all). Though I would defer to the conservationists, my general info
is that linen is archivally superior to the traditional cotton and silk
cords.  With respect to sewing stabbed bindings it is also easier to
control tension with waxed linen.  The trade-off is that there are fewer
colors available in linen but the selection is adequate for my needs.

        While I'm at it, my two rules for sewing the traditional patterns are:

                1. When you have gone through a hole make a ring around the                     spine, if
you haven't already done so.
                2. If you are at an end hole and have made a ring around the                    spine,
make a ring around the end (head or tail).

        These two rules will get you where you want to go.  They don't apply
uniformly to non-traditional patterns, however.

Sew well.

Sam Lanham

Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)

I don't give a whit for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I would
give my life for the simplicity the other side of complexity.

                                        --O. W. Holmes.